American Oil Company, founded in Baltimore in 1910 and incorporated in 1922 by Louis Blaustein and his son Jacob. Amoco merged with BP in December 1998 forming BP Amoco, later renamed to BP, though the Amoco name continued at most stations until 2002. When the Standard Oil Trust was broken up in 1911, Blaustein incorporated his business as the American Oil Co. in 1922. In 1923 the Blausteins sold a half interest in American Oil to the Pan American Petroleum.
1960 Shell acquires North Star Oil Company and Cree Oil Company. By the end of Shell’s 50th year in Canada and, taking into account the assets gained through its acquisition of North Star Oil Limited a year prior, Shell Canada held 21,500,000 net acres in Western Canada under permit, reservation or lease and sold automotive products under the Shell emblem from 3700 retail outlets accounting for 1.25 billion gallons per year.
Lion Oil Company was established in 1922. Thomas Harry (Colonel) Barton was instrumental in the development of the company. Lion Oil and Ford dealer, Somerville, Tennessee. Circa 1930-1945 In 1955, Lion Oil was sold to the Monsanto Company along with what is now El Dorado Chemical Company. Lion Oil is the only oil refinery Monsanto has owned. Lion Oil was later sold by Monsanto to Tosco.
Dixie Gas & Oil Corporation was founded June 16, 1946 as Dixie Bottle Gas Corporation. Dennis Earhart, along with his brother Edwin and father Roy, began the company purchasing about 100 propane customers from the HUB Furniture Company. At that time propane was delivered in 100 pound cylinders, every one to two months, and the empty tanks were exchanged and taken to a gas company in Maryland to be refilled. Propane was used primarily for cooking, water heating, and refrigeration.
Red Crown gas was made by the Standard Oil Company and was prevalent in old newspaper advertisements. There are about twenty four of these Standard Oil "Red Crown" castle-style stations left. I don't know how many of them were originally built. The design was developed by Standard Oil of Indiana. These stations were built in the 1920s and 1930s. The buildings have beige glazed brick and red tile roof details. The roofline peaks make them instantly recognizable.
White Eagle is one of the brands of gasoline that resulted from the breakup of Standard Oil in 1911. It was widely sold in Midwestern states during the 1910′s and 1920′s. Today's Mobil Oil Company is made up of serveral oil companies that were absorbed over the years like White Eagle.
HANCOCK Oil Company was headquartered in Los Angeles. In the 1850’s, lawyer Henry Hancock helped the Rocha family establish their legal claim to Rancho La Brea, but they ended up owing him so much in fees that they gave him part of the rancho in payment. In 1860 Hancock and his brother bought the rest of the rancho. Hancock began to sell asphalt produced from the famous tar pits that gave the rancho its name. This was the beginning of the Hancock Oil Company. Was sold to Signal Oil in 1958.
By 1965 Sunray DX was the sixth largest oil company in the world. It was also the oldest, with roots going all the way back to 1858. After giving it careful consideration management realized that future growth depended on connecting with the exploding youth population. The company began racing Corvettes. In so doing it could garner invaluable publicity and tap into young people’s boundless enthusiasm for the horsepower war raging in Detroit.
Signal Gasoline company, founded by Samuel B. Mosher in 1922. It renamed itself to Signal Gas & Oil in 1928 to reflect its expanding businesses; by the 1950s, Signal was the largest independent oil company on the West Coast of the United States and Mosher held large stakes in American President Lines and Flying Tiger Line. In 1964, Signal merged with the Garrett Corporation, an aerospace company, and the combined company adopted The Signal Companies as its corporate name in 1968.
Mohawk Gasoline was first based in Bakersfield, California. Mohawk Gasoline started business in the early 1930's - 1970. In 1970 Mohawk Gasoline was purchased by the Tidewater Company. Mohawk Gasoline Advertising items are highly collectible. Mohawk Gasoline Items advertise an Indian's side profile with a feather fixed in his hair, some Mohawk Gasoline items have a drooped feather instead of raised.
No documented information has been found about the Musgo Gasoline Company. I've heard that Musgo was around in 1929 because Musgo Globes have 1929 stamped onto them. The Musgo Gasoline Company was located in Muskegon, Michigan. The Musgo Gasoline Company was around for about 18 months. It is believed that the Musgo Company went out of business because they went bankrupt. Musgo Gasoline Signs/Globes are saught after by collectors and are Extremely rare.
POLLY GAS- started somewhere between 1910-1920. Most Polly gas stations were independently owned and operated along the West Coast. Polly Gas was around for 40-50 years before being purchased by Gulf around 1960. Polly Petroliana Items are Highly collectible. Polly Petroliana features a parrot on their Advertising items.
From the Greg Hildebrandt licensed collection, this Gas Pump Girl custom metal shape measures 13 inches by 26 inches and weighs in at 3 lb(s). We hand make all of our custom metal shapes in the USA using heavy gauge american steel and a process known as sublimation, where the image is baked into a powder coating for a durable and long lasting finish. This custom metal shape is drilled and riveted for easy hanging.